Monday, January 17, 2011

Learn the Ropes by Tying a Noose

"Here take this" James said as he threw me some sort of list.
I read it over. It was the names of twenty guys who I was now in charge of. "Ummm thanks. What do I do with this?" I asked sarcastically.
"What do you think? Eat it? It's the names for the role-call you'll do every morning. Take attendance and report if anyone is missing. If people gotta go somewhere, mark it down and tell the Warrant so he knows."
"So basically I'm head babysitter?"
"Pretty much" he replied. "Don't over think it. Just keep track of things, make sure no one fucks off, and pick out people for taskings."
"I guess that's simple enough" I said.
"Duh. Plus the best part is, you get to stay here and run things while everyone else goes and does the shitty jobs. Cool huh?"
"Well I suppose that's an advantage." I didn't know what to say. It was great to get recognized but sometimes being the one responsible has a way of biting you in the ass. Especially when you're in charge of teenagers with too much time on their hands.

That afternoon went by pretty quick.While everyone else was watching movies, I was lost in my day dream land. I told my roommate Matt about it and he congratulated me for it. But when I did, some people must of heard because the rest of the afternoon was peaked with whispers about my new job. I didn't know what to think. And after our PT break I went back to my room and just thought about it and what I was going to do. But everything in the military is platonic when it comes down to it. I can't really say I had a positive outlook.

In the military like most jobs people get right out of high school or whatever stage in their life they bring along a little bit of their old mindset and depending on their make up it takes a while to bash out previously held beliefs. So what I was faced with was a bunch of immature kids whose only form of discipline they previously got in Basic was quickly fading. Now I'm not naive enough to think little ole' me is going to burst in and start yelling, but I had to set the pace a bit.

The next day I went in with my little list. I went through it while James read off his. And things went quite well, everyone showed up in various conditions smelling of various vices. Later on I went to the office and met some of the junior officers who were stationed there for a quick stay until their own course. I found out after talking to them that everyone was just as long as I was and to just follow direction until I picked it up. I only realize years later that this is how the entire workforce operates and that most people have no real cool starting off what to do, no matter what the specialty. What decides who does a good job generally boils down to who can fake it the best.

14 comments:

  1. Leadership doesn't come naturally to most people, it's something you pick up by doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intense as always... You really must have gone through quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. head babysitter....with live ammo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats on the promotion.
    you'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. stay strong man, you got character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a hard job, congrats for sticking with it. Awesome picture by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lumberjack comandos are thougher than ninjas :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tl;dr, Dude is upset because he has to train a squad of noobs.... You're writing style is impressive man... Wish I could write half as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha-- I just checked back and saw myself on the little Earth map. Where did you get that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those lumber jack commandos got me lol



    http://dubstep-newdubstep.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder how many balloons it would take to hang oneself?

    ReplyDelete
  12. that picture is epic, has alot of inspiration to it.

    ReplyDelete